Wednesday, April 20, 2011

'...Wait, what?'

She points to the word in the dictionary and makes the gesture of clinking shot glasses again.

Prikmeta - sign, token

In her broken English she lets me know once more that what I did out of habit has much more significance. Even past the shots of vodka I've imbued, it starts to sink in. I, as an unmarried man, cannot 'clink' glasses with one of the opposite sex unless I wish to show intent. She is a married woman...

I am in a minefield.

I stay quiet and wait for rescue. Stepping in any direction could get me blown up and out of town. I feign un-understanding and it seems to work. My host mom and our guest start talking again. Color returns to my face and I keep eating my lunch. I start chuckling to myself when the door opens. I am introduced to her husband.

Boom.

There are 2 ways I see this going. The first involves yelling. The second also involves yelling, but between them, not at me. Something about how this rich American has promised to marry her and that she doesn't need to stay married to him. We customarily shake hands and then things quickly escalate to nothing. 2 minutes of brief chatter and he leaves. A few more shots (sans-clinking) and she leaves too.

Really need to learn this language..(and stop imagining disastrous outcomes for every situation..)

No comments:

Post a Comment