Saturday, April 2, 2011

Means and Motives

I had a post prepared and typed out last night, with a picture and everything, but when you can't get to a usb drive, then everything kind of falls apart. But now I know I need to write things out and bring a notebook with me as I'd rather not leave you with a broken paragraph and cherry picked memories. 

I am in an experience. One week into it and it feels like I've lost track of your lives. We are still crawling our way around, but in a few weeks I think we'll take our first steps. Language learning is exhausting and never really ends, but it has let me learn more in a week than I took away from 2 semester of Japanese. Our village is a place called Hermanivka it contains a bit less than 3000 people. Everyone knows of us, and soon they will all have met us. There are no crowds to melt into, we are on the job truly 24/7. There was a story told of a prior volunteer that did something unrespectable right when she got to her site. For the next 2 years she had to fight for even a brief glance of respect, and when she left, her progress was wiped away and herself forgotten. 

Anyway, I must be going, bus to catch. More later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment